“The grand essentials to happiness in this life are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.”
I know that happiness may seem an exquisite emotion these days and it may feel that consistent work should be done until you will be bathed in its magic potion. That … until you realize the difference between contentment and entertainment.
Few things that lift up my spirit:
- Hugging that lasts more than 3 seconds.
- Being served a puffy flat white, in a cup that will not brim-over.
- Warm flowing water, rivering on my drowsy body.
- A fresh sheet fondling me, indulging my pores.
- A lukewarm room, absorbed by darkness and complete silence.
- A dress zipper that will slide the curves of my back, ending its hike effortlessly.
- Shoes blessed with that half size less or more, that match my feet impeccably.
- Needing one coin and magically finding it without scrubbing the whole purse.
- A furry, little friend, that pets me with his unworried snoring.
- Knowing that there’s one more portion left of my favorite dish.
- A good friend confirming the dinner date.
- Boyfriend and me sharing the same mirror for grooming.
- Setting myself comfortably on a window seat, feeling the earth rushed by the aircraft gears.
- The thought that I can change the landscape of my heart by simply playing my ’90s favorites.
- The opening sequence of a movie long awaited.
- Climbing the wooden stairs, on my way to the orchard.
- A shy, morning sun-ray, nuzzling my shivered skin.
- Golden rains that cheer the hills, leaving behind a glowing greenery.
- Meeting a childhood friend that has grown joyful and luminous.
- Parents and cat squeezing on my mobile screen for a Skype session.
- Boyfriend approving to watch a horror .
- Baby nephew growing smiles, expressions and giggles.
- Finding a cab as soon as I need one.
- The waiter remembering I like extra mayonnaise and no ketchup.
- Boyfriend replacing t-shirt with shirt.
- Meeting new people who can laugh with me without asking *Where are you from?*.
- Moonlight glimmering over the roof of my grandma’s house.
- Ripe tomatoes gathering under the mild summer rain.
- People holding the door for those following them.
- Boy comforting the girl’s sleep while she carelessly stretches on his side.
- Walking in the colorful world of books.
- Watching “Friends” while having breakfast.
- Deep and truthful conversations about sense and nonsense.
- Midnight drives in the cool breeze.
- The fragrance and texture of the freshly washed bed linen.
- The wind gently curving the crown of the trees.
- Cotton, ivory blouses.
- Mother fitting into my jeans.
- Polenta blended with cheese and butter.
- Stepping of the plane, knowing I will soon reach Home.
These are only few things that bring me joy and comfort. I know that they seem insignificant but I don’t need that much to feel that I have a cozy place on Earth.
My life is not always decorated with blissful moments but I am springing my garden inside through good intentions, monitored negative beliefs and compassion for myself and others. I try to generate waves of peace and keep my joy by giving pleasure to the people that I love.
Please share with me below what keeps you peaceful these days, and what is the color of your happiness.